Choose You Blog
Did you know that July is National Blueberries Month? This gives all of us the perfect excuse to add more of these tiny treats into your diet. To tell you all the truth, I’ve only recently become a fan of blueberries but now I can’t get enough of them. They make the perfect snack throughout the day and can easily be found at your local grocery store or farmer’s market.
Blueberries are the second most-consumed berry behind strawberries and for good reason! Blueberries are a great source of antioxidants and vitamin C. If that wasn’t enough, the fruit contains healthy amounts of dietary fiber, something that most of us don’t consume enough of on a daily basis. Eating foods high in fiber not only helps us stay regular, but also helps to manage our heart health and cholesterol.
I love rinsing off blueberries and eating them fresh from whatever container they are in. But, I found a few other ways that to add fresh blueberries into my meals.
- Add blueberries into lowfat yogurt
- Sprinkle some blueberries into your favorite salad. Check out this recipe that I found for Chicken Blueberry Salad.
- Blend them into your favorite smoothie mixture
- Use them to refresh your usual salsa with this recipe. This Blueberry Salsa is the perfect companion to your summer grilled dishes!
- Muddle fresh blueberries and add to your favorite beverage. Blueberry mojitos, anyone?
I’m still in the middle of my colorful fruits and veggies challenge, so I’m open to more ways to enjoy fresh blueberries. Do you guys have any that you’d like to share?